Saturday, March 5, 2022

Fun at the Fabric Store

So, less than 24 hours after deciding it is finally time to start downsizing the mountain of craft supplies I have hoarded amassed over the past 30 years, I...went to the fabric store and came home with MORE stuff.

What can I say? Addiction isn't pretty.

In my defense, I went to the fabric store with a very specific mission in mind, and I purchased items that will be use specifically for the project at the top of my list: updating the window treatments and color scheme in my youngest daughters now-vacant bedroom.

When she was about 10 years old, I made a window seat cushion, matching pillows, and a couple of valances for her room, and I let her pick all of the fabrics. She ended up choosing lime green for the window seat, fire engine red for the curtains, and a whimsical floral pattern with cats on it for the pillows--and lord help me, I went with it. 

Now that she's all grown up and moved out into her own apartment, we painted her bedroom walls a neutral, light gray color, covering over the sunny lemon yellow walls that were chosen for her nursery 22 years ago. 

The gray is certainly more versatile, but...I miss the yellow (and her!). So, I decided to add some updated colors to the room that would coordinate well with gray. At first, I thought I would get something in a sunflower pattern, because that's her favorite flower, but I ended up falling in love with a different floral on a dark gray background. I'll be using that for the seat cushion, and for the new valances.  I'm going to make accent pillows in a golden yellow that matches colors in the main fabric, and a bolster pillow in the main fabric, too. 

That's the plan, anyway. First, I need to dust off the old Singer sewing machine and see if I still remember how to thread a bobbin and sew in a straight line. 

No comments: