Friday, May 12, 2017

FOOD REVIEW: Waffles & Syrup Oreos

Well, THIS was unexpected!

At this point, my friends and family have grown accustomed to my penchant for reviewing Limited Edition Oreo flavors as soon as they're available.  I'm not even a big cookie eater, but I do love being adventurous and trying unusual foods (or food-like things).

I recently purchased Firework Oreos to review them [see that blog post HERE], and unlike most of the other flavors I've purchased, somehow my family managed to plow through the entire package in just a few days--which is a problem, because I promised my eldest daughter she could try some when she comes to visit on Mother's Day.

So, I took a quick trip to the grocery store to snag some more, and that's when I happened upon ANOTHER flavor that I had no idea was being released: Waffles & Syrup. What?!? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED!?!

Seriously, whenever a new flavor is announced, I inevitably face an onslaught of tags on Facebook for at least a week. Does no one check my wall first before posting about a new flavor? Nope, I get at least 5 or 6 people tagging me every time a new one is released.

These intrigued me.  I was not a big fan of the Lay's Potato Chips "Chicken & Waffles" flavor, but I was curious enough to give them a chance. These have to better, right?

Actually, I found these a little disappointing--definitely a missed opportunity. I'm not sure what part of this cookie is supposed to taste like a waffle, but I didn't detect any waffle taste at all, other than the slightest hint of artificial butter flavoring. On the plus side, the cookie itself did have a noticeable maple flavor that was quite pleasant.


Unfortunately, they really missed the mark on the creme filling. Instead of using the maple flavoring throughout the creme, they had just a small dollop of light brown maple creme surrounded by plain white creme, which completely overwhelms the too-subtle maple flavor. They should have used the maple creme throughout the entire cookie.

Final verdict: fun to try, but no one in my family enjoyed these as anything more than a novelty. I will not be buying these again. :(

No comments: