Saturday, October 14, 2017

REVIEW: Mystery Flavor Oreos and Cookie Butter Oreos

I've been a bit remiss is staying caught up with my Oreo cookie "Limited edition" flavor reviews, but after finding packages all over the house waiting for me to post my reviews, I decided it's time to get caught up.

These two flavors are the most recent ones, spotted today at my local ShopRite: Cookie Butter Oreos and, debuting this week, the Mystery Flavor Oreo.

Short take:  Cookie Butter, B ,  Mystery Flavor, F

The details:

I've never been a huge fan of Cookie Butter to start with--nothing wrong with it, per se, I just don't find it as "swoon-worthy" as some of my other cookie aficianado friends.  Nevertheless, I give flavor profile a B.  It's not something I would buy again, but there's a nice overall ratio of cookie butter creme to sandwich cookie, and the graham cracker flavor cookie pairs well with the cookie butter creme (chocolate would have completely overpowered it). The reason this cookie doesn't earn a higher mark from me is that the flavors are almost too similar--when you bite into it, it doesn't scream "Cookie Butter Cookie!" to me, it's just, "Oh, yeah, that's nice. A little on the sweet side. Whatever."

I also deducted points for the consistency of the cookie butter. It's very grainy, to the point of being unpleasant in terms of mouth-feel.   Would I eat a handful of these if I were snowbound, with a big glass of milk? Yes. Would I go out of my way to buy these over classic Oreos?  No.

Next up: Mystery Flavor Oreos.

The premise: If you can figure out what flavor these cookies represent, you could be chosen to win $50,000 in prize money from Nabisco.

I'm not trying to be unkind, really I'm not, but here's my honest opinion: Nabisco created this cookie, and realized that taste is so disgusting, the ONLY way anyone would be enticed to purchase it is with the promise that they could win $50,000.   Yes, friends, it's THAT bad.

This is one Mystery that should never be solved. But I do have a guess: the creme inside the Mystery Flavor Oreos tastes a lot like Fruity Pebbles cereal. (Which is odd that they'd revisit that flavor profile, since they already released a "Fruity Crisp" flavor, which I reviewed previously HERE.)  Perhaps this one is Trix cereal, rather than Fruity Pebbles? Either way, they're cloying and overly-sweet, with a mish-mosh of sickeningly artificial flavors that smell almost as bad as they taste.  Listen, I'm not averse to eating chemicals--there's nothing I love more in this world than a cheap box of Mac 'n Cheese made with lab-created cheese-like powder. Food of the Gods, I tell you.

But this...this is a clear case of chemical engineering gone horribly , terribly wrong.

,
Yes, I entered the contest.  If, by some miracle, I win the $50,000, I'm going to pay off the CEO of Mondelez to guarantee that every copy of the recipe for this flavor is immediately destroyed.

You're welcome.

No comments: