Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Hot Cocoa and Mocha Latte in a Jar!

Last Saturday, the Pioneer Woman had an episode where she made "care package" gifts, including "Hot Chocolate in a Jar."  As soon as I saw them, I knew I wanted to make them as gifts.


They came out great!  I posted about it on Facebook, and someone asked me if there was a coffee-based version.  Hmmm....challenge accepted!

I ended up creating a Mocha Latte version, too--and it's really good!

Let's start with the hot cocoa version from The Pioneer Woman  Layer the following ingredients in a 4 oz Ball storage jar (available on Amazon):

1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar
A pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons of powdered milk
1 Tablespoon of grated semisweet chocolate
12 miniature marshmallows


For the Mocha Latte version, all I did was scale back the cocoa powder and swap in some Instant Espresso Coffee, layered as follows:

1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar
A pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon of powdered milk
1 Tablespoon of Instant Espresso Coffee
1 Tablespoon of powdered milk

There's a bit of room at the top of this, and I'm not sure what I would put to fill the gap. Marshmallows seem like an odd choice...I think maybe crushed candy canes might work, especially if this is given at Christmastime.

No comments: