Sunday, November 1, 2015

Black Forest Cake - in the crockpot!

Last week, I tried a recipe I saw posted on Facebook, and I couldn't believe how easy and delicious it was.  That recipe was for Apple Spice Crockpot cake: put two cans of apple pie filling into a crockpot, pour the dry Spice cake mix on top, and then put two sticks (8 oz) of butter on top of that. Cover and cook on high 2 to 2.5 hours.

I was skeptical about not mixing anything, but I tried it, and it was fantastic. Somehow, all of the ingredients came together, and it was like apple cobbler.

It got me thinking about other variations, so today, I tried the same basic technique using two cans of cherry pie filling, one box of chocolate fudge cake mix, and two sticks of butter.  The video I saw on Facebook shows the sticks of butter being placed right on top, but I decided to cut them up into pieces to make sure the butter was evenly distributed. It worked out great--absolutely delicious, and so easy.  Definitely going to stock these ingredients in the pantry this Winter for a fast, simple dessert.

No comments: