Sunday, October 23, 2011

Food: Wild Boar Ragu with homemade Pappardelle Pasta

I saw Anne Burrell make this last week on The Food Network and knew I had to try it.  Finding the wild boar meat wasn't too difficult...one of my local grocery stores just got in shipment of wild boar roasts, so I lucked out.  It took a long time to make--over 4 hours including prep time--but was absolutely delicious.

I had a little trouble with the pappardelle (can't seem to get the hang of it, it always ends up too thin), so I ended up making wide fettucine instead. It held the sauce well and I was happy with the end result. I forgot to take a picture of it while it was on the plate, so here it is in a not-so-fancy plastic storage container, ready to go into the fridge to save for a quick lunch during the week.  I know it's hard to tell from this photo (which I took with my crappy cell phone) but the color of the ragu is a rich, deep brown with red undertones. The boar was good. You can definitely taste the difference from beef, but it's not exactly like pork, either. It picked up the flavor of the red wine and was very tender after cooking all day.

Here's a link to the recipe: Papparadelle with Wild Boar Ragu

No comments: