Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Some wisdom from Shel Silverstein

Lately, my 7-year-old is obsessed with the poetry of Shel Silverstein. She loves his whimsy and his silliness. She's read The Giving Tree many times, so she likes his serious side, too.



Today, I purchased Falling Up for her. As I took it from the shelf--thinking to myself, "When the heck am I ever going to see one of MY books on a bookstore shelf?"--the book fluttered open to page 65. I'm convinced the poem that's printed there was meant as a kick in butt to me, to stop procrastinating and get back to editing my novel-in-progress.

Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' in the sun,
Talkin' bout the things
They woulda-coulda-shoulda done...
But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away and hid
From one little did


Enough feet dragging already. It's time to get that novel whipped into shape and sub it out. Thanks, Shel.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Those books! Just looking at them puts me in elementary school, almost as powerfully as smelling a scent that has you traveling through time.

Lisa Yak said...

I know...I have to wait until my daughter is asleep to get my hands on the books. They're wonderful!