Tuesday, September 11, 2007

God Bless Kathy Griffin

First, I want to congratulate comedian Kathy Griffin for winning an Emmy for her show, My Life on the D-List.

Next, I want to applaud her controversial acceptance speech, where she was quoted as saying the following:


"A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. Suck it, Jesus. This award is my god now."


Unfortunately, we won't be able to actually hear Kathy say these words, because her speech is being censored for the awards show telecast. As a Catholic, I have the utmost respect for my religion and my faith, but I think Kathy's comments were damn funny!

If anything, she was mocking those hypocritical rappers who get up there at awards shows and thank "Jesus Christ, My Lord and Savior" as they accept an award for a song or music video that refers to women as bitches and hos, and glorifies violence and exploitation. Or, how about someone like Mel Gibson, who makes a movie (The Passion of the Christ) that is lauded by the church, but then, when he's arrested for DUI, spews forth anti-Semitic rants and offensive tirades against women? Now THAT'S offensive.

You may not agree with Kathy Griffin's words, but they reflect her opinion, and she has every right to express that opinion.

Censorship: alive and well in 2007.